Longfella is the new professional name for "the towering wildfire that is Tony Walsh" - "one of the UK's most renowned performance poets" and a respected writer, workshop leader and community organiser.
Standing out from the crowd at nearly two metres tall, Longfella - Tony to his friends, is humbled when described as a "colossus" and a "true giant" of the performance poetry scene whilst perfoming everywhere from The British Library to The Glastonbury Festival. From schools, universities, prisons, conferences, festivals, museums and theatres to the magnificent Palace of Science and Culture in Warsaw, Poland as a guest of The British Council. Tony's poetry has been published on both sides of the Atlantic as well as displayed with an LS Lowry image at both Tate Modern and The British Museum as part of a Heritage Lottery Fund "Best of British" exhibition. A multiple winner and finalist in top-level poetry slam competitions, Tony is the current Manchester Literature Festival Comedy Slam Champion and was the runner-up in "The Times" UK Allstars Slam Final at Cheltenham Literature Festival in 2008.
Now a full-time freelance artist based in Manchester, Tony has, until recently combined his writing and family commitments with over twenty years of public service in a wide variety of Principal Officer roles, the majority spent working to engage and empower some of the Uk's most deprived communities.
In summer 2011 Tony will launch his eagerly awaited debut poetry collection "Tall Stories and the Truth" (with an accompanying cd) from the twin platforms of website Poet-In-Residence at Glastonbury Festival and, a week later, as the co-headliner of the prestigious Ledbury Poetry Festival's opening night.
The twin tracks of this unique cv - both award-winning - combine to ensure that Tony can work closely with you to understand your event, budget and requirements then tailor and deliver something memorable which everyone involved can enjoy and be proud of. A host of enthusiastic tesimonials, provide a wealth of evidence that Tony can help you to deliver highly successful:
* Performances and Readings * Festivals, Conferences and Events * Workshops, Youth and Community Projects * Films and Broadcasts * Ethical Promotions * Articles and blogs *
Recent projects have included:
* Commissioned by Community Foundation for Greater Manchester (aka Forever Manchester) to write a poem for a radio and poster campaign.
* Commissioned by Creative Industries In Salford to work with vulnerable adults to record their views in poetry and dramatic dialogue for a 30 minute training film.
* Commissioned by Wigan Leisure and Culture Trust to thank the borough's community volunteers via a filmed poem.
* Commissioned by film-makers ReelMcr to work with a multi-racial youth group in Burnley to connect them, through creative writing, to the area's industrial heritage.
* Performances at Glastonbury, The Big Chill, Latitude, Kendal Calling, Wychwood, Shambala, Manchester Literature Festival, Bridport Literature Festival, Cheltenham Literature Festival, Electric Picnic (Ireland), European Slam Days Conference (Berlin).
So, whether your requirements are humorous or serious, quiet or raucous, sensitive or informative, - or even all of the above, Tony Walsh: Longfella can guarantee a friendly, professional and reliable service, delivered in partnership in order to meet if not to exceed your expectations.
Tony is a member of the National Association of Literature Development (NALD), The National Association of Writers in Education (NAWE) and The International Songwriters' Association (ISA). He holds a current Enhanced-level CRB Check and £5m of Public Liability Insurance.